Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

When I Wish I had my Camera

I apologize for the lack of pictures in this post.  As you can clearly see by the title, I took no pictures today and I did not get any agility runs on film as well.

This evening, my agility instructor Nicole was unable to teach her class because she is trying to qualify for USDAA Nationals at a trial.  Instead of class, I took Layla to do run-throughs.  Jademan came along for the ride.  Layla was just AWESOME!!!  She ran so well for me.  We were getting jump sequences and crosses that ladies who were running very nice and fast Border Collies could not get.  I am really figuring out how to drive Layla.  This means that I have to put in more front crosses than the average handler.  Layla needs all the help she can get if we really want to race around the course.  I was so proud of her tonight.  She had no off courses, refusals, or bars (although Lay never drops bars).  Layla only missed her dogwalk contact once, but that was because I really wasn't cuing her and she was extremely excited.  Nothing makes me happier to see her bouncing to the start line, barking the whole way until I release her.  Running her felt so good tonight.  We were really feeding off of each other's excitement and that drove us to run and push harder.  I was especially proud of the last jump sequence on the last course that we ran.  It was jump, wrap to another jump, front cross into a serp, tunnel, jump into another serp, front cross into chute.  She nailed it both times and many handlers were having issues with back jumping or refusals.  I am very excited about our trial in Denver in a couple of weeks.

I have been working with Jade a lot too.  We are working hard for our Foundations class.  His newest skills are "ready!" (sets up between my legs), place (heel position on left side), side (heel position on right side), speak, and weave through my legs.  He is a great puppy and quite the snuggler.  In another week, he has his first field lesson.  I am really looking forward to it, especially since I have never done any field work before.  Every day is so exciting with a 4 1/2-month-old boy.  I can't wait to see what our future holds.

Tomorrow, we are leaving for camping.  The Goldens will be joining us for the first time.  I cannot wait to see how they like camping.  They were crazy about our hike in the mountains last weekend, so I'm sure they will have a blast.  I will try to get pictures!

I'm including a cute video of Layla's new trick.  I knew she could help me with homework!


No comments:

Post a Comment