Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

On Being Thankful

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads."  I love this quote from Henry David Thoreau's Walden.  I could not agree with Thoreau more.  I tried time and time again to begin this post with a witty moment of reflection, but I simply cannot top what Thoreau already wrote.  I am so incredibly thankful for all of the little things that bring me such happiness in my life.  I do not take nearly the number of opportunites that I should to recognize those who support and love me.  Without their guidance, I would surely be lost.

True to Thoreau's quote, I truly believe my life is so full of richness and beauty.  There is so much to be thankful for from the moment I get out of bed until the moment when I fall asleep.  I am so blessed that my parents provide for me.  They not only provide for me, but they go above and beyond to make me happy.  They are my biggest supporters and biggest fan club, even when they know I have not always been right or wise.  I have incredible friends I have made from all areas of my life.  My extremely close friends and I stay in contact despite the terribly long distance that separates us.  Happily, my freshman roommate still remains my best friend.  I still refer to Ellie as my "roommate" even though she is hundreds of miles away in Chicago, and I now have a house in Denver.  We have been through so much together in our short time at Lawrence University.  I know I can call Ellie at any moment of night or day.  She always has the best advice, even if it is something that I do not want to hear.  Ellie has the gift of making me laugh even when I am very upset.  More people should have close friends like her.  My Golden Retrievers continue to make me smile and laugh every day.  I sometimes cannot believe how much unconditional love Layla and Jade have to offer me.  I simply cannot be around them while in a bad mood.  I am so fortunate to have such great kids, and I want to do my best to make them think the same about me!  And lastly, I could not ask for a more loving boyfriend.  Blake is so sweet and extra silly.  He always makes me feel so good about myself.  He has given me so much confidence- something I have not always had a lot of.  I know he loves me for just being me.  He's most certainly my best friend, and I look forward to many many years together.  How did we get so lucky to find each other?

I know that my life is not perfect.  I could dwell on all of the imperfections, but I choose not to.  I have decided to learn from my mistakes.  I take what I can from a difficult situation and move forward.  Life is so full of beauty, but we often fail to take the time to stop and appreciate it. Being thankful is one of the best ways to appreciate life's beauty.  I know I have so much to be thankful for and so many people to thank.  Once I take a little time out of each day to do this, I can really see the heaven on earth under my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment