Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

More craziness!

I haven't slowed down since I have come home.  Maybe that is the reason why I have neglected to update my blog until now.  Last weekend, I took Layla and Jade to the dog club for Jade's first time.  Jade was amazing.  He whimpered for less than 10 minutes before deciding that he would just wait patiently in his crate until it was his turn.  I am working running contacts with Lay.  I'm having a blast and really want to stick to them- they are SO much work!!  The thing about RC's is that there is no set way to teach them because every dog is different.  You have to figure out your dog's striding and work really hard to match that to deep hits.  This means a lot of reps and a lot of videoing.  Layla is so funny. I think she will have it all figured out and then she will miss 3 in a row..  Nevertheless, I am having a blast and learning so much!

Jade was just brilliant all weekend (when is this boy NOT brilliant?).  I taught him down, a few steps for heeling, name recognition and attention, and here.  On Sunday, I was working downs on a table a couple of inches off of the ground.  We also played on a wiggle board.  This boy is absolutely CRAZY about any agility equipment.  He gets rather upset when he has to watch Layla run.  That is going to be my biggest challenge with him- getting him to settle and not get too riled up watching other dogs run.

On Monday, I began my new job at OSU's Veterinary Teaching Hospital.  I am having so much fun and I am learning so much.  On the day I began my job, a new rotation of 4th year vet students came to small animal medicine.  At least I wasn't the only one without a clue of how the hospital worked!  I have gotten up-close and hands-on experience with some really neat procedures.  So far this week, I have observed and/or helped with an endoscopy on a pot belly pig, administration of doxorubicin for a lymphoma patient, numerous blood draws and cystos, a fibrotic myopathy diagnosis, a bronchoscope, a bone marrow aspirate on a Chihuahua, treatment of a snake bite dog, helping out with two newborns after an emergency c-section, and semen collection on two German Shepherd boys.  I am very interested in Canine Therio, but all of the doctors there are so nice and I am getting to experience things I would never experience anywhere else.

Monday night, I took Jade to his first puppy class.  This little man just amazes me.  He held great attention throughout the entire class.  We were the first team to try the wiggle board.  Jade not only pounced on the board with no hesitation, but did it most enthusiastically.  When we were walking back to our chair, Jade went out of his way to pull me towards the board so he could do it again.  He was certainly not a fan of having to sit and watch all of the other puppies have their turn.

Last night I had to say goodbye to Blake after we watched the Thunders game at his grandpa's house.  That was really difficult for me.  Blake is the best boyfriend I could ask for and my best friend.  We are so incredibly close.  I'm going to miss him so much until the beginning of August, but I keep telling myself it is only 6 weeks.  I just don't know how we made it at different schools during freshman year.  It's hard to believe that we are approaching 2 1/2 years of dating- it feels like it has been so much longer.

Hopefully this weekend, I get some more time at the club to work Layla's RC's and train Jade.  I just got my judging program for the agility trial in Wichita Falls, which is next weekend.  I am so excited.  I am only running Layla in JWW and FAST (she needs one OF leg).  We are taking a break from standard until her RC's look great.  This will be Jade's first dog show.  I know he will be a good little spectator too!

No comments:

Post a Comment